Thursday, February 04, 2010

Freckles' Stitchery Collection Trunk Show

Dougal Walker was our guest speaker at our January quilt guild meeting. Dougal kept us entertained with her trunk show of all her patterns made into quilts and wonderfully humorous dialogue.The cats that were the inspiration for this piece were Dougal's own cats.

So the dogs were not outdone by the cats, there is a piece dedicated to our 4 pawed friends that bark, not purr.

A garden-themed piece that mixes stitchery and applique.

Snowmen! I love snowmen and almost brought this pattern home with me.

Another snowman quilt - a snowman for each month of the year. OK, I couldn't keep resisting, this pattern DID follow me home!

Adorable is the only way to describe this quilt! Notice the lace curtains on the window. The gal from our Monday night quilt group that came along with me to the guild meeting as a guest could not leave this pattern behind. ...............I think she has a soft spot in her heart for snowmen too!

I previously purchased this quilting mice pattern and enjoyed seeing it in "real life".

The same quilting mice done in all red thread. It is fun to see the same design done in two different ways.

This piece was inspired by what is inside our closets.

Angels are always a favorite. This piece was done in applique with some stitchery accents.

This is a perfect quilt for summer - ice cream flavours.

Australian animals were the theme of this appliqued piece. The pattern for this quilt appeared in one of the Australian quilt magazines.

A trip to Hawaii inspired this piece. Because Dougal worked on this piece while vacationing in Hawaii, she needed to work on the piece in smaller chunks. This was constructed via a quilt as you go technique so that each small quilted piece could be worked on as a portable project requiring a small amount of room on the plane while travelling. Once Dougal got home, she assembled the pieces together into one large quilt. you can see the blue leading in the finished quilt that joins the smaller quilted pieces together.

This was a guild challenge project. This piece provides incredible insight into Dougal's imagination!
Dougal hoped that her presentation and patterns would serve to inspire our own individual creativity. I know I went home inspired to re-visit my own stitchery projects.

2 comments:

Linda C said...

I would have loved to been at that trunk show along with your guest! What a treat for the eyes. I see a couple I wouldn't mind owning myself in that group, LOL. Her work is lovely and I like the multicolor thread options. The mice looked really cute in one color too though.

Yvette said...

Thank you for sharing. I searched the web and found that cat pattern and ordered it.